departmentTown Clerk's Office

Town Clerk's Office
74 East Main Street    
Stony Point, NY 10980
Phone: 845-786-2716 x107
Fax 845-786-2783
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm

Welcome to the Town Clerk’s Office, the information center of Town government. Town Clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses that is only a small part of this complex job. Many duties are mandated by law in this multi-faceted office, but there are a number of other services that we provide to town government and offer to the public. As the most accessible form of government, we are here to serve and assist you. We try to respond promptly to your questions in a courteous, professional manner. If we cannot help you, we will refer you to the office or agency that can. If my staff or I can be of service, or you have any suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Duties and Functions of the Town Clerk’s Office
The Town Clerk is elected for a 4-year term as Secretary of the Town. She is the keeper and sole user of the Town Seal. As the Secretary for the Town, the Town Clerk attends all meetings of the Town Board, keeps and files all Town records, including Minutes of Town Board meetings, and processes installations and resignations of Town officials. The Clerk's Office issues various licenses and permits required by either the Town or the State of New York.
Cash Control Officer
The Town Clerk is responsible for the collection and disbursement of funds to the state, county and local fiscal officers of all fees collected.
Licenses and Permits: See below.
Notary Public
Town Clerk and staff members are all notaries.
Registrar of Vital Statistics:
As Registrar of Vital Records, the Town Clerk is responsible for keeping a permanent record of all births and deaths that occur within the boundaries of the Town, as well as all marriage licenses that are applied for at our office. Birth, death and marriage records are not open to the public for inspection. For genealogy searches, death and marriage records become available fifty (50) years after the date of issuance. Birth records become available after seventy-five (75) years. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office for more detailed information.
Records Access Officer (RAO)
As RAO, all Freedom of Information (FOIL) requests must be processed through the Town Clerk’s Office. (See forms).
Records Management Officer (RMO)
As RMO, the Clerk is responsible for all Town records, from retention, to storage, to destruction.
Zoning and Planning Publications are purchased from the Town Clerk’s Office
NYS Vital Statistics
For New York State Vital records please visit the state web site at
Permits, Licenses, Transcripts, and Records
Click here for Application for Public Access to Records - Foil Request
Birth Certificates: 
Births occurring in the Town of Stony Point are filed here. To record a birth and obtain a birth certificate:
• Certificate form completed by parents, doctor or midwife.
• Completed certificate delivered to Clerk's Office.
• Registrar or Deputy Registrar signs, dates, and files certificate.
• Official Birth Certificate is mailed to parents.
Birth Transcripts:
Legal equivalent to an original Birth Certificate that is available to parents, children, lawful representatives, or anyone who presents a court order. The application requires identification and information pertinent to the birth. There is a $10 fee.
Death Certificates:
Deaths occurring in the Town of Stony Point are filed here. To record a death and obtain a death certificate:
• Information normally collected and brought in by funeral director.
• Registrar or Deputy Registrar verifies, signs and dates certificate and issues burial permit.
• If remains are to be cremated, a cremation number must be obtained from Medical Examiner's office and
recorded on the certificate.
Death Transcripts: 
Death transcripts are available to a surviving spouse, parent, or adult child of the decedent. Transcripts are also available to funeral directors or anyone who can demonstrate legal right or claim. There is a $10 fee, however one transcript is free at the time of death if the decedent was a veteran.
Genealogy Records:
Town of Stony Point genealogy records of births, deaths, and marriages begin in 1881. A basic fee of $10 covers a search and uncertified copy or notification of no record. Submit completed application (NYS Form DOH-1562, available at Clerk's Office), with fee to the Clerk's Office. If more than three years must be searched, the fee may increase; there is a complete schedule on the application form.
Marriage License:
• Must be obtained at least 24 hours, but not more than 60 days before marriage.
• $40 fee - Blood test not required in New York State.
• Certified copy of birth certificate required.
• Driver's license or passport required for each party.
• Parental consent form required for persons less than 18 years of age. Court order required for persons 16 and under.
• If divorced, certified copy of divorce decree required.
• If widow or widower, death certificate required.
• License to be signed and returned to Clerk after marriage.
• Copy of license kept by Clerk - $10 charge for duplicate if original is lost.
• Returned license indexed under both original surnames with date of marriage.
• Marriage certificate sent to couple, photocopy kept on file.
• Active members of armed forces receive free marriage transcript with certificate.
Marriage Transcripts: 
Legal equivalent to an original Certificate of Marriage that is available to the bride, groom or legal representative. The application requires identification and information pertinent to the marriage. There is a $10 fee. NOTE: Marriages are recorded where the original license was issued, which may or may not be where the marriage itself occurred.
Licenses and Permits:
• Bingo/Games of Chance Licenses
• Christmas Tree Sales
• DEC Fish & Game Licenses
• Dog License
• Handicapped Parking Permit
• Mobile Home Park Permit
• Peddler's License
• Sanitation Permit
• Towing Permit
**Boat Launch Permit


Bingo & Games of Chance Licenses: 
Eligible organizations (religious, charitable, volunteer or veteran) first obtain a State identification number by submitting form BC-1A (for Bingo) or form GC-1A (for Games of Chance) to:
New York State Racing and Wagering Board, 1 Empire State Plaza, Suite 1201, Albany NY 12223-1151.
After an identification number is obtained, an organization submits a license application to the Town Clerk. The license fee is $25 for Games of Chance and $18.75 for Bingo for each date on which games are to be conducted. Statements of proceeds from games must be filed with the Town Clerk within one week of the event. This process takes several weeks, as Police and Fire Inspectors must verify the safety of premises to be used before approval is granted. All required forms are available from the Town Clerk.


Boat Launch Permit:

Register at the Town Clerks office:

Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm

Residents:  $35 per season

                   $10 per launch

Kayaks, canoes and non-motorized row boats free of charge

*Proof of residency and a copy of the boat registration must be provided.*

Nonresidents:  $30 per launch

Please make checks payable to Town Of Stony Point

Launching fees are non-refundable

Park hours: 8:00am - 8:00pm

Boats must return by 7:30 pm

Boat Launch ApplicationClick here

Christmas Tree Sales: Click here for form
DEC Fish and Game Licenses: 
Hunting & fishing license requirements are set by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Licenses may be obtained from the Town Clerk.
Dog License: 
All dogs over the age of four (4) months harbored by Town of Stony Point residents must be licensed by the Town Clerk.
To obtain a new dog license:
• Owner must furnish proof of rabies vaccination, and verification if claiming dog has been spayed or neutered.
• All original documents are returned to the dog owner.
License fees:
• Unaltered male or female: $15.00
• Neutered male or spayed female: $7.00
Dog licenses must be renewed annually; the expiration date appears on the license.

Handicapped Parking Permit: 

Available to New York State residents with permanent or temporary disabilities, as certified by a licensed physician. Applications are available from the Town Clerk (if requested, applications may also be mailed).  The form is also available here.  (Form 664.1). The application must be filled out by both the applicant and the applicant's licensed physician. A recent letter from the applicant's physician may be accepted in lieu of physician's portion of the application. Letters or applications signed by chiropractors are not currently acceptable to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. Applicant must show driver’s license when applying for a permit. Permanent Permits are good for 5-year period. Temporary Permits are good for up to 6 months, at the discretion of physician. There is no charge for the original permit, but there is a $2 state mandated fee for any license that is lost or stolen more than twice. Temporary renewal requires a new application or letter from physician.

Mass Gathering Permit:  Click here
Mobile Home Park Permit:
All mobile (manufactured) home applications are sent to Park owners in November, returnable by January 1 of the next year. The fee is $10 per home. Click here for form
Peddler's License: 
A $1500 bond and $75 fee are required. If a vehicle is used, there is an additional $100 fee. Application forms may be obtained from the Town Clerk. Completed application forms must include 3 passport-sized photos of the applicant. Names and addresses of two personal references must be supplied. The applicant must be fingerprinted by the Stony Point Police Department. The license is issued after receipt of fingerprints, reference replies, bond and fee. Copies are sent to the Police Department and filed in the Town Clerk's office. A peddler's license is valid until year’s end only for the specific purpose for which it was issued. Licenses may be subject to site restrictions. Click here for form
Sanitation Permit: 
A refuse license is required for any person or firm engaged in business of collecting, removing and/or transporting refuse in Town of Stony Point. Applications may be obtained from the Town Clerk's office. Applications must be completed and returned to the Town Clerk. Applicants must provide proof of insurance coverage for automobile, general liability, Worker's Compensation, and NYS Disability. The license costs $100, and it is valid for a calendar year, January 1st to December 31st with maintenance of proof of insurance as outlined above. There is an additional administrative fee of $50 for each carter. Click here for form
Towing Permit:  Click here for form   Instructions to applicant for towing permit
Applications for Town Board Legislation
Sewer Extension Application: Click here for form       
Special Use Permit: Click here for form 
      $1500 – cell towers
        $250 – all other cases
      Plus cost of publication of public hearing notice in all cases
Zone Change Application:
Submit a petition to amend zoning map together with a $100 application fee, plus $30 an acre or a portion thereof for each acre of land affected. The publication cost of the notice of public hearing will be charged to the applicant.
Thank you for accessing the Town Clerk’s web page. If you have any questions or if there is something you need to know that is not addressed in this website, please contact us at 845-786-2716 Ext. 107.




© 2024